Sponges, spoons and squirrels

I hereby aim to try and make the most random blog.....

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Arty farty hippy student coming to change the world!


Well, here I am!

After many threats, both on and off my blog, I have returned to you, oh fellow bloggers! I have no explanation whatsoever as to why I haven’t blogged in over a month, although I’m guessing deep down its just laziness!

Quite a lot has happened since I last blogged, though too much to really mention. One major thing is that I have decided what direction I want to take my life in. I have moved away from teaching, as it just doesn’t seem to offer what I thought it would, and moved towards working for NGO’s, aid agencies, Muslim and non Muslim, you get the drift. I have always had this in me but for many different reasons, I haven’t done anything about it. Finally, I woke up and decided that instead of sitting there listening to various different people telling me that there is no money in working for charities, or that ‘the world is in a bad state but there is nothing anyone can do about it’ I have decided to get off my backside and try and do my bit. Believe me, I am under no illusions that I am going to change the world, and unfortunately I am also under no illusion that anyone else is for that matter, but I would at least like to do my bit to help.

Now I’m very slowly starting to test the waters with volunteer work to see if this is the right thing for me to do. So far I have helped MD out with some of her ISB stuff, one helping out at a charity treasure hunt in aid of NSPCC in Fletcher moss park and the other by playing a deaf, uptight vicar in a play for a ladies only dinner for Islam awareness week! I have also joined the steering group for stop the war and joined thinkers forum international! All baby steps but for me, big ol daddy giant steps. One thing I have noticed that I took away from Ramadan was confidence in myself. Don’t get me wrong, not vanity or big headedness lol, just that I will stop sitting around thinking things through over and over again, I will just do things and put my faith in God.

I have more confidence in me being a Muslim and not just calling myself one.

7 Comments:

  • At 11/28/2006 2:54 PM, Blogger Firefly said…

    Hiya...

    Volunteering is the best place to start. Many of the major NGOs advertise for interns (usually full-time 3-6month positions) and these are usually great for getting started and seeing how the industry works from the inside. Check their websites.

    Good luck!

    Lovely blog, btw.


    Firefly

     
  • At 11/29/2006 4:06 AM, Blogger NM said…

    Salam sweetheart!

    :) A lot of change in the air lately eh. Well done for the proactive steps am so proud of this active, confident no nonesense NEWBIE that is emerging!

    We could always tell with that temper you try to keep in check:)

    I CAN see you handing out food parcels to little children in war torn countries.

    on a sad note..... Its sooooooo sad that the blogging sphere is keeping us in touch!!!

     
  • At 11/30/2006 7:39 AM, Blogger white african said…

    banana i support you 1000% sis, we so need muslims in these areas so go for it and i will forever be your cheerleader 'give me an n, give me an e, give me an w, give me ab, give me an i give me an e, newbieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

     
  • At 12/08/2006 3:00 PM, Blogger Ever The Idealist said…

    Salam hon. I am under the impression that to change one life is to change the world. You are an amazing woman and I am sure you will do wonderful things in your life (Inshallah). I'll hopefuly be here cheering you on

     
  • At 12/10/2006 4:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    yaay! well done
    i think thats excellent, if i wasnt such a selfish bugger myself i think i's do more, anyways you've inspired me to atleast try...
    Jazaks Babe
    K xxx

     
  • At 12/11/2006 6:14 AM, Blogger Newbie! said…

    Thank you guys so much for your support, from the comments you made on my blogs to all the support you have given me in our friendships, the inspiration, the confidence, the lot! I truly love you guys and without you lot and islam (you lot playing a big part in me actually reverting, whether you know it or not!), i doubt id be the woman i am today!

     
  • At 2/21/2010 6:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amiable post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you on your information.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home